Visiting hours & guidelines
Care is provided in a patient-centered atmosphere that is respectful and mindful of the important role visitors play in a patient’s well-being. Please keep the following visitation guidelines in mind.
- You can choose who can and cannot visit you while you are in our healthcare facility without regard to legal relationship, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
- We encourage visiting from 6am to 9pm. However, you may have your appointed family member or designee (healthcare proxy, patient representative or support person) present at any time during your hospitalization.
- We ask our families and visitors to join us in creating a restful healing environment for ALL of our patients by:
- Limiting the number of visitors to no more than two at the bedside
- Speaking softly in patient areas
- Keeping cell phones on vibrate and conducting conversations away from patient care areas
Visits from children
- Children are welcome to visit a family member, but those under the age of 16 should be supervised by a responsible adult during their visit.
- Young children are expected to stay with a responsible adult who is supervising them to ensure a safe and restful environment for the patient and other patients sharing the room.
- There are no age restrictions for visiting children, but supervising adults are encouraged to keep their visit brief.
For the health and safety of our patients, there may be additional times when limits are placed on visitation. These will be explained by a member of the clinical team. Examples include:
- Isolation procedures
- When a patient has requested restrictions or time limits for visiting
- When there are safety concerns, such as risk of infection
- When visiting interferes with the care of other patients, including the need for their rest and privacy
- When a visitor has a current court order that restricts contact with the patient
- When a visitor becomes disruptive, threatening or violent
- When the patient is in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program that requires limited visiting
Huntington Hospital is a smoke-free campus. Smoking is not allowed in the hospital, or in any area outside the hospital, including the parking lots. This includes electronic cigarettes.
Learn to be tobacco free
Partnering with the Suffolk County Department of Health, Huntington Hospital offers free smoking cessation workshops. Prescription medications and materials are free of charge for participants.
Visitor ID badges
For the safety of our patients, visitors and staff—all visitors and patients, including guests of employees—must check in with security upon entering the hospital. Security personnel will scan the guest’s valid photo ID and/or take a picture and print a personalized badge for visitors to display and identify themselves on hospital property. Badges are used to scan through optical barriers at the entrances, must be worn at all times and will remain active for 24 hours, after which visitors must check in to obtain a new badge. Returning visitors need only mention their name for a badge. All information is stored on an internal secure database. Your safety is our priority. If you see an individual without a badge, please promptly inform a staff member.
Huntington Hospital provides free parking, as well as convenient complimentary valet service. The valet service is available via gate 2 off of Park Avenue and at the Emergency Department entrance.
- Valet hours: Monday-Friday 6am - 8pm (parking available until 6pm, pick-ups available until 8pm)
- Emergency Department Valet hours: 10am - 8pm
- General parking is available via gate 1 off of Park Avenue
Visitor comfort lounges
Our visitor comfort lounges provide a soothing space that helps relieve stress for patients, their families and friends. Features include:
- TVs with closed-captioned programming for the hearing impaired
- Phone charging stations
For the comfort and convenience of visitors, comfort lounges are provided in the following locations:
- Main lobby/valet
- Ambulatory Surgery Center/Operating Room, fourth floor
- Endoscopy Suite, second floor
- Cardiac Care Unit, third floor Northeast wing
- Intensive Care Unit, third floor Southwest wing
- Two family/patient lounges, Don Monti Oncology Unit (1 North)
Visits from chaplains of the the major faiths can be arranged for any patient. Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant chaplains are available on an on-call, voluntary basis. Ask a nurse manager for specific information on how to arrange for a chaplain visit. If a patient wishes to have their own chaplain visit, that is welcomed.
A nonsectarian meditation chapel is located on the first floor.
We invite our families to attend Catholic Mass every Saturday in our Gillies Conference Center located on the first floor of the hospital.
Gift shop and flowers
The Hospital Auxiliary operates the Gift Shop located in the main lobby. The shop stocks cards, toiletries, fresh flowers, gifts, and stationery. Gift shop purchases must be paid for by cash or credit card. American Express, Visa, Discover, and MasterCard are accepted.
Food and amenities
Patients and their families may go about satisfying their hunger in a variety of ways. Below are the hours of each service. If you or a loved one become hungry after 7pm, please do not hesitate to tell your nurse.
While we encourage patients to enjoy scheduled room service, there is food available around the clock! We understand that hunger can occur at unconventional times when undergoing treatment in the hospital.
Patient dining: Room service
Room Service takes your order between 7am and 7pm.
Orders typically arrive within 40 minutes of placement. Simply press the “food” button on your Nightingale phone, or call 385-FOOD (extension 3663). Your doctor may have ordered a specific diet for you, in which case some menu items may be limited. When you call for room service, one of our dietary clerks will assist you in arranging a balanced and nutritious meal to be delivered to your bedside.
Visitor dining: The Park View Café
Breakfast: 7am - 10:30am
Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm
Dinner: 4pm - 7:30pm
The Park View Café is open to visitors and staff for designated mealtime hours and is located on the Ground Floor in the North Wing.
The café is also open for late night hours from 2am to 3:30am.
Further dietary advice
A registered dietitian is available to provide you and your family with diet education, as well as to perform a nutritional assessment to evaluate and promote patient well-being. Feel free to ask your nurse to connect you with the dietitian, or to call the dietary office at (631) 351-2222.
Lost and Found
The hospital’s Lost and Found is maintained by the Security department and is located on the main floor. You may call Lost and Found at (631) 351-2323 between 8am and 6pm.
The Information Desk helps patients and visitors get to where they need to go. Located in the ground floor main lobby, our information desk can help you with:
- Obtaining a visitor pass
- General information such as locations for food, ATMs, gift shops and more
- Directions to hospital departments
- Bus and train schedules